Wednesday 6 November 2013

Am I right that I can only convert if I am marrying a Jew?

Dear Rabbi,

Am I right that I can only convert if I am marrying a Jew?



Rabbi Jonathan answers:


ABSOLUTELY NOT!  We are delighted to welcome anyone who genuinely wishes to join the Jewish people

So no, not at all - on the contrary, it is really important to persuade the Bet Din (Rabbinic Court) that  you are converting for yourself - because you feel Jewish and ready to take on the traditions, obligations and expectations of a Jew.

Welcoming people to Judaism is one of the highlights of Rabbinic life - to hear the moving and varied stories of what brings intelligent adults to want to take on this framework for life.  I wish many people who are born as Jews and take it for granted could hear some of these amazing stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment